In October of 1958, the last weld was completed on TransCanada’s Canadian Mainline – a pipeline system unlike anything the continent had seen before.
In the months that followed, the first natural gas furnaces from west to east were switched on, forever revolutionizing indoor temperature control.
Fast forward more than 65 years, and today TransCanada safely:
- Delivers 20 per cent of North America’s natural gas supply.
- Transports 20 per cent of Canada’s crude oil exports to U.S. markets through our Keystone Pipeline System.
- Generates enough electricity to power 11 million homes.
Quick facts about TransCanada
- 66,400 kilometres (41,300 miles) of natural gas pipelines that deliver 20 per cent of the natural gas consumed across North America, every day.
- 368 billion cubic feet of gas storage – the third largest provider in North America.
- 4,200 kilometres (2,600 miles) of oil pipelines.
- 16 power generation facilities, producing 10,100 megawatts of power – enough to power over 10 million homes across North America.
- 7,100 employees in Canada, the United States and Mexico.
Our values and priorities
Values guide how we work, treat one another and operate at TransCanada, every single day. Our values are integrity, responsibility, collaboration and innovation.
Our priorities are to ensure the safety of our operations, protect the environment, support the communities we live and work in, and deliver economic success. We know our long-term success depends on our ability to balance these areas in every business decision we make.
Did you know?
We operate a network of 70,000 kilometres of pipelines – enough to circle the Earth 1.7 times.