TransCanada is proud of the relationships it has built with more than 60,000 landowners across our North American pipeline network over the last 60 years. TransCanada is committed to treating all landowners who may be affected by Energy East honestly, fairly and respectfully.
TransCanada will work closely with landowners to identify:
- Land restrictions
- Access routes
- Other construction requirements
Our ongoing objective is to cause as little disturbance to the land and to landowners as possible. It should be noted that almost 70 per cent of Energy East Pipeline is already in the ground. Of the remaining 30 per cent, more than half will run alongside existing industrial rights-of-way. This means that disruptions to communities and landowners will be minimized.
In our dealings with landowners, our policy of encouraging dialogue and feedback is a big part of our success. The final route for the Energy East Pipeline will be heavily influenced by the extensive feedback we will obtain from landowners. Even as TransCanada begins to acquire rights-of-way for the pipeline, we’ll continue to engage with landowners and local communities to make sure that their questions and concerns are addressed.
Some Quick Facts
- Negotiated in good faith, a right-of-way agreement grants TransCanada the right to construct, operate and maintain a section of pipeline on a piece of property
- The landowner retains ownership of the land
- Compensation is negotiated on the basis of (but not limited to) market value, land use and many site-specific details
- All negotiations are confidential
- As long as the integrity of a pipeline is not compromised, landowners can use the land for normal agricultural purposes (plowing, fertilizing, disking, harrowing, cultivating, seeding, spraying, tilling, baling, rolling and harvesting) without having to notify TransCanada
- As no permanent structures can be built on the right-of-way, it is necessary to “Call Before You Dig”
- TransCanada will be responsible for any restoration costs for damages to the land caused by the operation of its pipeline
- When pipelines reach the end of their useful lives, TransCanada is responsible for the cost of properly abandoning the pipeline
If you’re a landowner with an interest in the Energy East project, we encourage you to contact us.