At TransCanada, we work to minimize our environmental footprint as we strive to meet the energy needs of North Americans. Our ongoing goal is to cause as little disturbance to the land as possible.
One of the reasons that we are considering Energy East is that almost 70 per cent of the pipeline is already in the ground. Of the remaining 30 per cent, more than half will run alongside existing industrial rights-of-way and infrastructure. All of this will reduce the project’s environmental impact from the outset.
Some Facts about Energy East and the Environment
- Before submitting Energy East to the National Energy Board, TransCanada will complete a detailed Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment to evaluate all of the social and environmental resources along the pipeline corridor
- TransCanada will design, construct and operate the pipeline with the end goal of re-establishing the essential biophysical characteristics of the environment, ensuring that equivalent land capability and biological diversity are maintained
- TransCanada will maintain a right-of-way easement for the lifespan of the pipeline and will work with landowners to address any issues caused by its activities
- TransCanada will do extensive field studies before the Energy East Pipeline project starts, including assessments of heritage resources, vegetation, wetlands, soils, wildlife, including species at risk and aquatic habitats
- As we develop Energy East, TransCanada will work with stakeholders and experts in every province to identify and understand the unique environmental resources and concerns within those regions
- TransCanada will engage with stakeholders, landowners, Aboriginal communities and local residents across Canada to identify and understand the unique social and environmental resources and concerns within those regions
If you have questions about Energy East and the environment, please contact us or attend the information session nearest to where you live.