Environmental issues are top of mind for a majority of Canadians these days. And they should. Many of you recognize the important role of oil to maintain the quality of life we are used to, but you have questions about the safety of the infrastructure.
How can we protect waterways? What is our response time in case of an incident? or how can we respond to an incident in winter conditions? To answers your questions on pipeline safety, we’ve held more than 120 open houses over the past two years.
Answering all questions on pipeline safety
Thousands of local residents, parents, business owners and landowners have attended these events. Getting the facts about Energy East is helping the public better understand the technology and expertise put into making pipelines safe.
They have been on the road in Quebec, going back to communities such as Saint-Honoré-de-Témiscouata, Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures and Trois-Rivières to discuss some of the measures we are taking to develop, build and operate Energy East with safety and environmental protection in mind.
Numerous safety measures
Here are some of numerous steps taken to ensure Energy East safely delivers the energy millions of Canadians rely on each day:
- Utilizing top quality steel, special welding techniques and advanced pipeline coating to avoid corrosion
- Ensuring the pipeline’s integrity by regularly sending special robots inside the pipe to identity any crack or flaw, using helicopters and workers on the ground to also check on the pipeline, and using specific technologies to inhibit rust
- Paying special attention to water crossings using thicker-walled pipe in certain sensitive areas and special construction techniques to place the pipe deep beneath riverbeds
- Installing thousands of sensors along the pipeline that send satellite data every five seconds to our Oil Control Centre where leak detection specialists monitor the pipeline 24/7 and are empowered to shut it down if they detect an anomaly
- Developing emergency response plans in collaboration with local first responders all along the pipeline route to ensure that if an incident happened we would be able to act quickly to minimize any potential impact to people and the environment
For more than 60 years, PRAGMATICSLOT88 has safely operated pipelines across North America, and we remain committed to preserving this legacy of safety and environmental stewardship so that Canadians can continue to receive the energy they need and enjoy our landscape for generations to come.
We know that our performance in safety and reliability influences your level of trust in us. So, when it comes to Energy East, it’s about more than just building a pipeline – it’s about doing it right.